Wednesday, December 16, 2009

So what have we been up to this past month?

Here's a better question...what HAVEN'T we been up to?


Thanksgiving weekend we went up to my parents house in MN and spent the holiday. I haven't been home for Thanksgiving in 6 years, so it was really nice to be there again. The first night we were there JB started really walking. Just decided to let go and walk on his own. Never really made it farther than across the room, but we were pretty proud at his progress. Some friends of mine, Zach and Lindsey, came over that first night for pizza and hanging out. A very special thanks to them for hanging out with the fam. It was really nice to see them. And Linds - the shirt fits him perfect, and he still plays with that hairy ball almost daily.

The day after Thanksgiving we went and saw more of my friends at Katie and Jared's party. We brought the kiddo, so we didn't get to stay very long, but it was nice to see their place and be a part of the get togethers again. And Katie and Jared had very good news...they are expecting their first baby in May!!! Yay for them!

Since we've been home, Boyd's classes have ended, and finals have begun. Friday is his last test....a doozy of a multiple choice exam he's been told. It's been a new experience for him to have his entire grade resting on only his final exams. He is very ready to be done and take a break for a while.

JB has started to really enjoy having books read to him. Boyd will swing by the library on his way home and pick up stacks of Curious George books (JB's favorite), and we read at least a couple each day. I'm glad he's gained a love for reading, because for a long time he wouldn't sit still long enough for us to get through a couple pages.

His favorite thing to do these days is to come up to us, grab our hand, and pull us around the house. Sometimes he has a destination, but usually we end up going in circles until he finds something he's more interested in looking at. I think it's cute how he wants us to be with him. On the days I'm focused more on chores than playing, he usually ends up coming up to me, grabbing my finger, and leading me to the toys.


We continue to see missionary work at it's finest here in our ward in Iowa City. We have two more baptisms coming up, and we've been lucky enough to have both investigators taught in our home. It's been a huge blessing to have the Sister missionaries here, teaching, and to feel the extra spirit that they bring with them. They, along with the members in our ward, must be doing great work, because these baptisms will bring us to a grand total of 4 since we moved here.

I've been keeping myself busy while Boyd studies by making Shannon and Daren's baby girl winter hats. It's been a lot of fun, and has made me realize how much fun I'll have when we have a little girl. So Shann, here's the long awaited picture of the hats I have done. I'm continually paranoid that for some odd reason they won't fit Munchkin's head, so your getting them in a variety of sizes. If you have any suggestions for more let me know. I'm making the brown flower one in a larger size for when she outgrows the newborn one (because it's my FAVORITE and I think she should be able to wear it for more than a couple weeks). Oh, and there's a pink one in the works too! :)During the big snow storm last week, I took a break from baby sizes, and made myself a cute winter hat. There are some things I'd do different next time, but I think it turned out pretty cute. At least it's something a bit cuter than the old Park High School Swimming beanie.

So that's that. I should probably go clean the bathroom or something before nap time is over and I have to be mommy again. If I don't get back to blogging for a while......

Merry Christmas!!!
I hope you all get to spend it with those you love.

5 comments:

Annette said...

I'm impressed! Those hats are sooo cute!

Daren Black said...

LOVE 'EM!

Unknown said...

Those hats are so cute! You are very talented girl. Where did you find the patterns? Do you ever go on Ravelry? Miss you tons. JB is the cutest thing ever. I can't believe how our little guys have grown up!

Mamasooz said...

Sarise, those are DARLING!! I can't wait to see her wearing them!

Kelly said...

such cute hats! It sounds like everything is going so well! JB is getting SO big! He is darling!