Friday, September 26, 2008

Still here!!!

Life has gotten the best of us and school, work, and staying afloat has seemed to take over our lives. We haven't seen many of you for quite a while, but others we've seen much more regularly. Here's a little bit of what's been going on with us.....

BYU Football: We bought tickets to all the BYU games this year and it has been tons of fun. The first game of the season was actually my first college football game ever. Even with me being big and pregnant, it's been a great way to spend time with each other and get outside. Our tickets are with Trina, John, Rachel, and Jeremy (as well as some of Jeremy's friends) so it's also allowed us to see some family at least a couple times a month. As you can see from the picture, our seats are up-front-and-personal (7th row), but being on the end zone it gets hard to see what's happening on the other end of the field.

Capstone: Boyd's capstone project is starting to get underway. His group was assigned to figure out how to make weather-proof building materials for homes, latrines, and wells in Mozambique. Right now their houses wash away with every rainy season, and they want something that will last about 5 years. The problems are that they don't have enough fuel to fire their bricks and enough money to buy any kind of substance to cement them together (including manuer). Only materials found in "their backyard" can be used. Needless to say, dirt is a popular conversation topic in our home right now. The project is very minimally funded, so the group is also having to spend time applying for grants to pay for supplies and travel expenses. I'm impressed with how optimistic they are able to stay when sometimes what they have to do seems impossible. It will be very exciting to see if they can solve this problem.

Baby: We're continually trying to get ready for our new little addition. I had my first baby shower last Saturday with my aunts and cousins from my dad's side of the family. We definately don't get to see them as much as we would like, so it was good to all get together for a few hours. Many thanks to them for all the clothes, toys, and other accessories. I absolutely love the closet organizer that stores all the cute little clothes and blankets our boy's been given. It fits perfectly in front of everything else we have to store in our closet!


We can't believe that there's only a little more than 4 weeks until we have a son! Of course he could come earlier than that. In fact, yesterday the doctor said that I only have two more weeks and then the baby can come any time I/he wants! Yay! These last weeks have been so much fun. Boyd really enjoys being able to see and feel his little boy's movements so much more. I am finally used to most of the jabs, twists, and turns so it doesn't keep me awake as much.

Subbing: I've been lucky enough to get 2-3 days of work a week. Originally I had wanted to work full time, but I don't think I would be able to handle much more than I'm doing right now. I just get too tired with that and trying to keep up with the housework. Sometimes it's hard to accept my limitations, but I'm getting better at being content with what I am able to do. I really like subbing. I would enjoy having my own classroom more, but I feel like this is what I'm supposed to be doing right now.

Law School: Boyd's continually working on getting his applicatoins ready for law school. Early application deadlines are the first of November so he's busy writing his personal statement and getting others to write letters of recommendations. I don't know how he balances all of his responsibilities right now, with school, work, and this, but he's doing a good job and it'll all pay off next semester when he finally has time to breath.

That's about it! I'll try to be better at posting more often. We love you all!

No comments: