
This little guy deserves a round of applause. He has been such a champ through the last few weeks of craziness. July is always a really busy month for our family, and this year it has been more than ever. To start it all off, a few weeks ago we drove up to the base of the Grand Tetons and camped at Reunion Flats for a Black family reunion. I have to admit, it was a little on the chillier side, but it was
BEAUTIFUL!!!! And there's nothing quite like being
hailed on in July.

On of the mornings we all gathered together and went on a hike. It was just like heaven to be up in the mountains with everybody!

Boyd and I love to hike, so it was a great way to spend the majority of our morning/early afternoon. And JB is as happy as can be in his carrier. I think he slept most of the way up (a couple miles), and Uncle Jeremy made sure he was well entertained on the way down.

Over the four days that we were there we did a variety of things. We each were in charge of providing an activity for the kids, so they enjoyed things like making pinatas, beading jewelery, playing ball, and writing to Uncle Seth. Us SILs took a morning off and went to the nearby craft fair, where Shannon bought the dinner "bell" we used the rest of the time there. Each night we made some kind of goody over the fire (banana boats, smores, popcorn, etc.), and then on the night of the 4th we went into Driggs to enjoy their display of fireworks. It was a fun-filled reunion, and we are all thankful to the hard work Shan and Daren put into planning it.
Thanks guys!!
Sunday morning we packed up to leave. I had put JB in his pack and play while we were running around doing stuff, and I thought it was cute how some of his boy cousins congregated around to play with him (or his toys).

Our trip home included a group stop in Afton, WY to see the farm Mom Black grew up on. They've had to sell a lot of the land over the past years, but it was fun to go and see the
old barn and hear her talk about how things were when she was a kid. (For a cute picture of JB on an old tractor look
here, it wouldn't let me copy it over to my blog.) We ate lunch at a nearby park and took one last group photo before we all headed home. From looking at us you'd never guess we'd just gone 4 days without showers. Pretty good, huh?
The next weekend we packed the car up again and headed to the Hardy Reunion, where we get to visit with cousins, aunts, uncles, and more! Our camera was out of commission during that one, but we had an equally good time. We know that there were some very stressful moments, but we want to say
job well done to all those that were involved in making it happen.
One of the girls I love most in life, Shann, came home with me after this last reunion. Since we're moving in less than 2 weeks, she was kind enough to take a few days out of her totally hectic summer and spend them with me! I couldn't ask for a better BFFSIL (Best Friend Forever Sister In Law). She lifts me up in ways she doesn't even realize.
We spent a day making rag quilts. Wal-Mart has some
SUPER cute flannel right now, so we stocked up and cut tons of little squares to sew together into blankets for our little ones. JB will need a warm blanket for those Iowa winters, and Future-Baby-Black (AKA Munchkie) will be all set when he/she comes along.
Whenever we get together we have to go
shopping!!!! I'm not that much of a shopper, but Shann over the years has broken me in. And it is now one of my favorite times with her. This time, we headed up to the outlets near Park City and enjoyed a perfect day. Each of us spent pretty much all the money we had and we came home with a trunk full of goodies. Sometimes there's nothing better in life than being with your best friend. It's relaxing in a way that nothing else is, and it always gives me the extra boost I need to keep going. I'm sure going to miss you Shann!!!!
Which brings me to our current happenings here at home. We're spending our days packing and cleaning (as much as is possible with a 9 month old at your heels), getting ready to move to Iowa in a week and a half. It's hard to believe that we have such a short time left here. Growing up I would have sworn that I would NEVER live in Utah. Pretty much the only thing that brought me out here was the cheap tuition. However, I have grown to love it in a way I never thought possible. The mountains I used to look at as ugly, grey, and rocky are now gorgeous and filled with hours of fun. I love the bright sunshine and the brilliant blue sky. I've gained a humungous family out here that I will miss dearly, and there might even be a few fond feelings for BYU that I will take with me.

It's a bitter-sweet experience. With all the things we will miss, I can't help but be excited for Boyd to be going to law school. It means we're done in 3 years! We have a nice placed lined up to move into, with a landlord that seems very pleasant to work with. We look forward to making new friends, and finding our place in a new ward. We'll have real thunderstorms, lots of lakes (Boyd's going to have to turn fisher instead of hunter), and a backyard to play in the snow. Despite all that we're leaving behind......I can't wait for what's ahead!
4 comments:
JB is such a cutie!!! We are going to miss you so much. It is sad that now our lives are settling down with Randy graduating, you guys are moving and we may be too. Make sure you keep in touch!!
Love you hun!
Boyd can still go duck, grouse, pheasant, deer hunting and I'm sure some other critters I'm forgetting about at the moment... I hope that all your packing goes smoothly and that you have a safe, uneventful trip out this-a-way. It will be nice to see you appear in your mom and dad's ward now and then!!! Love ya!
my grandparents live in driggs and in tetonia. i watched the driggs fireworks last year haha. i, in a way, grew up around there. :) looks like y'all had fun! and i love that pic of jb! he's a doll!
Post a Comment