Friday, March 6, 2009

Snow Shoes

It's hard to believe that it's already been two weeks since we did this. Boyd rented snow shoes from BYU, we dropped Jake off at our friend's place, and he and I hit the mountainside!

Boyd has wanted to go snow shoeing for a couple years now. Finally doing it, we found that it's actually a lot easier to walk in them than we had thought. We went in this side canyon up Provo Canyon, and it wasn't very steep, which made it perfect just to walk around and enjoy how beautiful the whole place was. We had a lot of fun just being together in the outdoors.



Oh, and I guess I had always thought that snow shoes kept you a lot dryer than they actually did. We were surprised at how far we still sank in the snow on the unbeaten path. (In all reality it makes sense when you think of your weight and the surface area of the shoe you're walking on.) At the end of our couple hours out, my pants looked like this, and were completely frozen solid:Very fun! If we end up living in an area that has long winters, we've decided that we need to invest in snow shoes and cross country skis. Winter isn't so bad when you have a variety of ways to get outside and enjoy it! But I guess that's coming from a girl that grew up in the frozen land of MN....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun! I just tried skiing for the first time last year, and I was officially converted to winter sports. Glad you guys could go have such a fun date!

Kelly said...

i'm still so jealous! really! I have always wanted to go snow shoeing!!! ps thanks for telling me your blog!