Monday, February 23, 2009

It's not just the waist line

All of you moms out there know how having a baby changes your waist line. For some of us it only changes for a couple weeks to months...for others it's a permanent change. I'm learning that the mixture of having a baby, no longer walking to and from campus, and no longer working in a high paced dishroom, is a bad combination. Not to mention it being winter, so outside activities have been out of the question. But really, what's left will come off pretty easily once my activity level can increase with the upcoming warmer weather.

However.....something else has gotten bigger, something that won't shrink when tackled with a good diet and exercise. My feet! I think it's weird that it didn't happen until just recently. I would have expected it to happen, hmmmm, maybe 4 months ago?

A month ago now I started realizing that my toes hurt. Since we were doing a bit of walking at the indoor track and I was wearing old tennis shoes, I decided to go get new ones and see if it did the trick. On the exersion to the store, I found out that I needed to go up from a 9 1/2 to a 10. Not so much fun.

I also wore my flat church shoes more often recently b/c of the ice, and carrying the baby in heels probably isn't the best idea. Well yesterday I went to put on my heels (because I LOVE heels, always have, always will), and they felt fine for the most part. Why should I even THINK that they would be too small. I had worn them a large handful of times since the baby was born, and no problem at all! But walking down to the car, I found myself already wincing at the pain caused from my toes being too cramped in the end of my oh-so-loved shoes.

So, it looks like I'll have to find a loving owner for my shoes. It's not that I have a large collection, but I have carefully picked out each pair, making the purchase after much thought. I don't like spending money on things I don't end up wearing enough to make it worth it, and these favorites made the cut. It'll be sad to see them go.

And don't even get me started on HAVING to go shoe shopping. You never find the perfect pair when you are in need of new shoes. You always find them weeks AFTER you've had to settle for something that'll "do".

But, my toes will be happy....

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That's interesting. I've never heard of that happening. Yeah, I still have 4-5 pounds to go. I take the baby on lots of walks, try to go to the gym, and do some hard core workout dvd's (such as P90X) during Paxton's first nap of the day. Although I still want to lose a few more pounds, I am glad that I can at least wear most if not all of my old clothes again. I'm sorry to hear about your beloved shoes. At least it's just your feet though and not like...I don't know...your butt, or something weird like your neck. What size did you say your shoes were?

Marc and Liz Anson said...

I feel ya girl. After 2 kiddos I've concluded that I will NEVER be the same size I was when we got married...so my goal now is to get to my post pregnancy weight after Rachel. That was a healthey weight and would put me back into my favorite jeans that I could never get rid of becuase there was always that 'one day' in my mind.

As for feet, mine changed too. When I'm pregnant my feet swell so bad that the only shoes I can fit into are flip flops. After delivering Rachel I found the swelling went down but I couldn't fit into half of my shoes. I held on to them with hopes of fitting into them 'one day' but after a second child that day, sadly, will never come so they are currently in the pile of things to donate.
I just hope that someone enjoys them as much as I have.

Arienne said...

I wish I could take your shoes, but I have the opposite problem! My feet actually got SMALLER! I was shocked. 6 down to 6 1/2. Yikes.