Wednesday, September 5, 2007

WEEK 2 IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Bryce Canyon and Capital Reef National Parks


The second week of class we went down to the southern part of the state to study sedimentary rocks and depositional systems. Last semester I took a class on this from the same professor that went with us on the trip, so this second week was mostly review. We got to see some soft sediment deformational features that aren't seen in too many places, and the TCS (trough cross stratification) in the Navajo Sandstone on the scenic byway between the two national parks is classic! (A great shot of some TCS, but in the Entrada Sandstone instead of the Navajo)

At the beginning of the week we were told to get into groups of 3 or 4 to tent and cook with. We were also told not to bring a lot of stuff because we were driving down in the BYU vans. Us 3 girls took that to heart, and were surprised when we found out we brought a lot less than nearly everybody. People actually complimented us for cooking all of our dinners on a single propane burner.

Doc made a lot of sight seeing stops at both places so we could enjoy the scenery. Never being to either place, I took a lot of pictures. Bryce Canyon is beautiful with its orange hoodoos. Capital Reef is full of treasures: a wall with the names of cowboys who traveled through the area engraved on it, Jurassic aged reptilian trackways, a dinosaur leg bone, etc. I'll save you from the scholastic details of the trip, but might I just say that geology students can get very nerdy over a bunch of rocks. And if you ever want to see my rock collection or know more, I'll do my best to share my knowledge.


(Hickman Bridge- CRNP)

(names engraved on the wall of sandstone/hoodoos at Bryce)


1 comment:

Gerb said...

Sarise-

What a fun trip! That's the kind of schooling I can enjoy.

And I love that you're a "rock nerd". When I first came on the Black family scene, I would have called Boyd a "bug nerd". Sounds like a good match to me. =0)